Last reviewed on 9 February 2022
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 44028

Learn how admissions authorities set admissions criteria, how the consultation process works and the deadline for consulting on changes.

Guidance in this article is taken from the School Admissions Code 2021.

Setting the arrangements

If one of your schools is undersubscribed, every child that requests a place will get one. 

If one of your schools is oversubscribed, admissions criteria are used to help allocate places. 

You can set the oversubscription criteria as you see fit, but there are certain requirements you must follow. 

For example:

  • Any child with special educational needs (SEN) whose education, health and care (EHC) plan names the school must be admitted before any oversubscription criteria are applied
  • Looked after children (LAC), and post-LAC, are usually given highest priority

The rules for setting oversubscription criteria are on pages 10 to 18 of the admissions code, linked above. Make sure you're clear on these.

The admissions code allows you to name children coming from a feeder school as part of your

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


Get safeguarding peace of mind this summer term

Walk into the summer term with everything you need to maintain safeguarding vigilance in your school.

Download our summer term briefing pack, available for free to DSLs for a limited time only.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.