Reducing the published admission number (PAN)

Admission authorities must consult when they propose to decrease a school's PAN. See information on timescales and who must be consulted. If you're a special school, find out how to change your agreed pupil number.

Last reviewed on 16 June 2023
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 8784
  1. Admission authorities must set an admission number
  2. Who must be consulted?
  3. Timescales and what to publish
  4. Reducing the PAN for existing cohorts
  5. Appealing against an LA's decision
  6. Reducing the agreed pupil number in special schools

Admission authorities must set an admission number

They must do this for each age group at which pupils are normally admitted to the school - for example, reception or year 7.

Who your admission authority is depends on your school type:

Type of school Who is the admission authority?
Academy Academy trust
Community school Local authority
Foundation school Governing board
Voluntary aided school Governing board
Voluntary controlled school   Local authority

See paragraph 1.2 of the School Admissions Code (page 9).

Who must be consulted?

Parents of children between the ages of 2 and 18 Other persons in the relevant area who, in the opinion of the admission authority, have an interest in the proposed admissions All other admission authorities within the relevant area (except that primary schools don’t need to consult secondary schools) Whichever of the governing board and the