Charging for school premises: lettings

Generate income for your school by letting your school premises. Learn how to set your costs and where to turn for advice on VAT.

Last reviewed on 8 May 2024
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 11088
  1. You may be able to charge for lettings (and make a profit)
  2. How to decide how much to charge

You may be able to charge for lettings (and make a profit)

Maintained schools

Your governing board can decide how the school premises are used, including whether they can be hired out. This is because the board is responsible for the day-to-day running of your school land and buildings, and for the health and safety of pupils. 

Your school is also allowed to make a profit. Any profit you make must be reinvested in the school. 

You must work closely with your local authority (LA), as your LA has some powers of direction over how your school premises are used.

This is set out in the maintained schools governance guide (see sections 7.17.1 and 7.17.3).

Voluntary-aided, voluntary-controlled and foundation schools

This is explained in section 7.17.1 of the maintained schools

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.