Charging for school premises: lettings

Generate income for your school by letting your school premises. Learn how to set your costs and where to turn for advice on VAT.

Last reviewed on 12 May 2023
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 11088
  1. You may be able to charge for lettings (and make a profit)
  2. How to decide how much to charge

You may be able to charge for lettings (and make a profit)

Maintained schools

Your governing board can decide how the school premises are used, including whether they can be hired out. This is because the board is responsible for the day-to-day running of your school land and buildings, and for the health and safety of pupils. 

Your school is also allowed to make a profit. Any profit you make must be reinvested in the school. 

You must work closely with your local authority (LA), as your LA has some powers of direction over how your school premises are used.

This is set out in the Governance Handbook (see sections 6.12.1 and 6.12.3). 

Voluntary-aided, voluntary-controlled and foundation schools

In addition to above, you must also work closely with the trust that owns your land to decide how your premises can be used. 

This is explained in section 6.12.1 of the Governance Handbook, linked above.