The duties of the governing board are set out in the Governance Handbook.
The 3 core functions of the governing board
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff
- Overseeing financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
This is outlined on page 13 of the Governance Handbook.
Key tasks your governing board should perform
These vary depending on your school type
Download our KeyDoc below to get a sense of what your governing board needs to do based on your school type.
Remember, your board might delegate some of its responsibilities.
- Behaviour and exclusions
- Parents and the community
- Health and safety
- Pupil wellbeing
- Special education needs and disabilities (SEND)
- Pay and appraisal