You are here:

Last reviewed on 18 October 2017
Ref: 127
School types: All · School phases: All

Find out what you can do to deal with an abusive or aggressive visitor. You'll also learn how to manage challenging interactions with parents who have mental health issues.

Abusive visitors can be removed from premises

People can be removed from your school if you have reasonable grounds for suspecting that they have committed an offence under section 547 of the Education Act 1996. 

The removal may be carried out by a police officer or a person authorised by the appropriate authority. Depending on your school type, the "appropriate authority" may be your: 

  • Governing board
  • Local authority
  • Proprietor

This is explained in the Department for Education's (DfE's) guidance on controlling access to school premises. 

Controlling access to school premises, GOV.UK – DfE 

Education Act 1996: section 547,

Can a school ban abusive parents from the premises?

You can bar someone from your premises if you feel that their aggressive, abusive or insulting behaviour or language is a risk to staff or pupils. 

This is explained in the DfE guidance linked to above. 

Advice on

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.