You are here:

Last reviewed on 15 April 2021
Ref: 9727
School types: All · School phases: All

It's up to you whether you ask visitors to sign in and out. Find out what to consider when deciding, and have a look at the approaches some schools take.

You're not required to have visitors sign in and out 

It's up to you to decide whether this is appropriate. This also applies to parents and other visitors who attend events such as sports days.

However, it may be difficult for you to find a practical alternative that enables you to meet your health and safety obligations to visitors. 

Carry out a risk assessment before inviting in a large group of parents. Make sure adequate arrangements are in place to enable your school to account for all staff, pupils and visitors in the event of an emergency evacuation.

The DfE gave us this advice. 

Visitors may be particularly at risk in the event of a fire because they are less familiar with the premises. You should include arrangements for them (and anyone else who you’ve identified as at risk) in your emergency and

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.