Accident recording and reporting: requirements and guidance

Get to grips with the statutory requirements for recording and reporting accidents and incidents on your school site, including the additional rules for early years settings and special schools.

on 24 June 2024
See updates
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 2692
  1. You must keep an accident book
  2. What incidents to record
  3. You must report certain incidents to the HSE
  4. Additional requirements for the EYFS 
  5. Additional requirements for special schools
  6. Make sure you are UK GDPR compliant

You must keep an accident book

This can be either a hard-copy book or in electronic form (as long as you've backed up the data).

Every time an accident happens, you must record the:

  • Full name, address and occupation of the injured person
  • Date and time of the accident
  • Place where the accident happened
  • Cause and nature of the injury
  • Name, address and occupation of the person recording the accident, if other than the injured person

You must keep the records for 3 years after the accident (but check if your insurer requires you to keep accident records for longer). 

This is outlined in The Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979 (see paragraph 25.3 and schedule 4).

Check your health and safety policy to be clear about your accident recording procedures. Download our accident report form in appendix 2 of our health and safety model policy.

What incidents to record

Incidents that require

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.