Who is it for?
School condition allocations (SCA) are paid to the bodies responsible for maintaining school buildings. This includes:
- Local authorities
- Large voluntary-aided bodies – see eligibility criteria below
- Large multi-academy trusts (MATs) – see eligibility criteria below
- Non-maintained special schools
- Special post-16 institutions with eligible students
MATs and voluntary-aided bodies eligibility
Only larger academy trusts and voluntary-aided bodies are eligible for SCA. You must have:
- At least 5 open schools at the start of September 2023
- At least 3,000 pupils counted in the spring 2023 census
For special schools and alternative-provision schools (including pupil referral units), the DfE multiplies the pupil count by 4.5 to reflect the typically lower pupil numbers and more complex facilities in these schools. This means that a MAT with 1,000 pupils in special schools would count as having 4,500 pupils, for example.