Pupil premium grant: looked-after children
Learn which pupils are eligible for looked-after children (LAC) pupil premium funding, known as 'pupil premium plus', how this funding is allocated, and how the spending is managed by a virtual school head (VSH).
Who is eligible
Under the Children Act 1989, a child is legally defined as 'looked after' if they are:
- Provided with accommodation by the local authority (LA) for a continuous period of more than 24 hours
- Subject to a care order (to be placed in the care of the LA)
- Subject to a placement order (to be placed for adoption)
How allocations are calculated for 2022-23
Allocations for looked-after children for the 2022-23 financial year will be:
- Provisionally based on the March 2021 children looked-after data return
- Confirmed based on the March 2022 children looked-after data return
This is outlined in the technical note for 2022-23.
How the spending is managed
LAs can pool