You are here:

Last updated on 5 December 2018
Ref: 36354
School types: All · School phases: All

Use this step-by-step guide to determine whether your school can lawfully share personal data with countries outside the European Economic Area. This includes sending it directly to an international organisation or when it’s kept in a server abroad.

Article tools


  1. What is an international data transfer?
  2. Your first step: do you really need to transfer the data?
  3. Will it be a 'restricted transfer'?
  4. Does the receiving country have an 'adequacy decision' from the EC?
  5. Do you have an appropriate safeguard in place?
  6. Is the transfer covered by an exception?

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.