Last reviewed on 9 June 2022
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 44853

Be clear on what you must report, share and publish to stay compliant, as a maintained school or academy.

Financial reports and statements

You don't have to produce annual reports.

However, you must complete the Schools Financial Value Standard (SFVS) annually. See our other article on the SFVS requirements.

Your governing board also needs to provide information in the consistent financial reporting (CFR) framework to your local authority (LA). Read more in our article on the CFR.

Annual governance statements

It's good practice for your governing board to publish an annual governance statement to explain how it has fulfilled its responsibilities, according to paragraph 10 in school governance guidance from the DfE.

Assessment information

You must:

  • Submit National Curriculum tests and teacher assessment outcomes to the Standards and Testing Agency (STA) at the end of Key Stage (KS) 2

There are no requirements for you to report to the STA on pupils' progress in KS2 foundation subjects. However, you should include details of pupils' attainment in these subjects in your report

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


Get safeguarding peace of mind this summer term

Walk into the summer term with everything you need to maintain safeguarding vigilance in your school.

Download our summer term briefing pack, available for free to DSLs for a limited time only.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.