Retaining first aid, accident and medical records

Learn what records you need to keep following incidents in school that need first aid, as well as how long to keep the records to make sure you're complying with UK GDPR and relevant legislation.

Last reviewed on 26 May 2023See updates
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 34310
  1. You must have a policy and keep an accident book
  2. Keep first aid records
  3. You must keep RIDDOR records
  4. Record any administered medicines 
  5. Records related to 'major incidents'

You must have a policy and keep an accident book

All schools must have a health and safety policy, where you outline how you retain accident and first aid records.

Download and adapt our model policy to suit your school's context, so you can stay compliant. 

Accident books

The Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979 require schools with 10 or more employees to keep an accident book, and to retain records in this book for at least 3 years.

Learn more about accident recording and reporting in another of our articles. 

Keep first aid records

You should also keep a record of any first aid treatment given in school, including how and when parents or carers were told about any first aid given to a child.

This is not the same as the statutory accident book, although you're free to combine the 2 records if that's easier.

DfE guidance on first aid says you should record:

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.