See an example risk assessment from the HSE
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has published an example of a risk assessment for food preparation in a small business. It's not designed specifically for schools, but it should still be a useful reference.
The example takes the form of a table with a number of questions to answer, such as:
- What are the hazards?
- Who might be harmed and how?
- What are you doing already?
- What further action is necessary?
The example includes possible hazards for kitchen environments, such as:
- Slips and trips
- Contact with steam, hot water, hot oil and hot surfaces
- Gas appliances (e.g. ovens)
- Pressure systems (e.g. steam pipes, pressure fryers)
- Workplace temperature
Note: the HSE is clear that you should not just copy this risk assessment