You are here:

Last reviewed on 7 December 2017
Ref: 5662
School types: All · School phases: All

Are there risk assessments for staff with medical conditions? In this article, we look at assessing risks and supporting employees with health conditions in the workplace, relaying advice from ASCL and one of our associate education experts. We also point to guidance from the HSE and the NHS.

You don't need to carry out a specific risk assessment?

There is no requirement to carry out a specific, separate risk assessment for a person with a disability. As per guidance published by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE):

If you become aware of a worker ... with a disability, you may need to review your existing risk assessment to make sure it covers risks that might be present for them.

It explains that employers have a duty to consult their employees on issues relating to health and safety.

Emily explained that it would be difficult to have specific risk assessments

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.