You are here:

Last reviewed on 14 October 2021
Ref: 6617
School types: Academy · School phases: All

Learn what the rules are for structuring your school year, what considerations to have and when you must seek approval from the DfE.

You're free to decide 

As an academy, it's up to your trust to determine the length of the school year.

This is in the DfE's model funding agreement (see page 14). However, do check your own funding agreement in case it differs. 

Take staff contracts into account 

Before making changes to the school year, particularly making it longer, bear in mind staff contracts and the effect this might have on their pay.

Teachers employed under the STPCD

If your teachers are still employed under the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD), then they must be available:

  • To teach pupils for 190 days (189 in the 2021/22 academic year due to an additional bank holiday)
  • For 5 INSET days, although they can’t be required to teach on those days

You would need to hold a consultation with all staff members and recognised unions if you wanted

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.