megaphone icon updated on 4 January 2023
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 45550

Understand the rules around structuring your school year and what you need to consider, so your school year is compliant and runs smoothly.

Your requirements

Maintained schools must open to educate their pupils for at least 380 sessions (190 days) in each school year.

However, if your school is prevented from opening for 1 or more sessions and it isn’t ‘reasonably practicable’ to rearrange the sessions for another time, you're not required to make up the lost sessions. 

These requirements are set out in regulation 3 of the Education (School Day and School Year) (England) Regulations 1999.

These regulations don't apply to academies or free schools.

Rules on teachers' working days

Full-time teachers employed under the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD) must be available to teach pupils for the 190 days that the school is open (188 days for the 2022/23 academic year due to the additional bank holidays explained below).

These requirements

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


Get safeguarding peace of mind this summer term

Walk into the summer term with everything you need to maintain safeguarding vigilance in your school.

Download our summer term briefing pack, available for free to DSLs for a limited time only.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.