Research on effective teaching
- Effective teaching: research into key features Research into effective, high-quality teaching has highlighted several key themes. Find out what these are so you can look for them in your own school setting.
- How to embed effective retrieval practice in your school Retrieval practice is a feature of high-quality teaching and supports pupils to learn. Understand retrieval practice, and learn strategies and tips to use it effectively across your school.
- How to improve learning by reducing cognitive load Understand why pupils get overwhelmed with information, and learn strategies to maximise learning by reducing cognitive load. Download our handout to use in CPD sessions and during lesson observations.
- Jargon buster: pedagogical terms Know your dual coding from your cognitive load theory? Want to encourage evidence-based teaching in your school but can’t remember your cognitive science? Remind yourself what these key terms in pedagogical theory mean and how to spot them in the classroom.
- Using your teaching assistants (TAs) effectively Read our summary of the EEF's guidance on making the best use of teaching assistants (TAs), so you can maximise your TAs' impact on pupils' learning.
- Writing: effective teaching strategies for primary pupils Get ideas for quality teaching for writing at Key Stage (KS) 1 and 2. Find example strategies from research, a teaching framework and a primary school to help you improve writing outcomes in your own school.