Assessment: dos and don’ts
Ongoing formative assessment in the EYFS should involve:
- Knowing children’s level of achievement and interests
- Using that knowledge to shape teaching and learning experiences for each child
- Observing children’s progress day-to-day
- Collecting observations from parents and carers
- Responding to these observations in your interactions with children
- Using your knowledge of the child and your own expert professional judgement to comment on their progress
- Supporting a successful transition into Key Stage (KS)1 by informing an ongoing dialogue between practitioners and year 1 teachers about each child’s learning and development
It shouldn’t involve:
- Prolonged breaks from interacting with children
- Excessive paperwork
- Needing to back up your own professional judgement with physical evidence, such as photos and written observations
This is set out in sections 2.1 to 2.3 of the 2021 EYFS statutory framework.
When do we have to assess in the EYFS?