Your trust's structure may change
Before merging, think carefully about:
- How your trust’s structure and governance roles might change when it merges
- Whether you should set up an interim governance/working group to oversee the merger process
- How much autonomy schools in your merged MAT will have
Compare your MAT with the one you’re looking to merge and discuss with the trust central team questions such as:
- Where is decision-making and control delegated to schools and where is it held centrally?
- Are there local governing boards? If so, what powers do they have, and what powers does the trust board have?
- Do we share the same ethos as the other MAT around central control vs autonomy?
Check the finances of the MAT you want to merge with
Its financial health – ask to see the 3-year budget forecast for all schools in the MAT Its contracts – ask the MAT about its contracts with suppliers. Ideally, you want all contracts to