Sun safety policies
Pupils should know about sun safety by the end of primary school. Find example policies (including from a sun safety award-winning special school) to help you outline your school's approach to keeping everyone safe in the sun.
Primary schools: you're expected to teach about sun safety
By the end of primary school, as part of health education, pupils should know about:
- Safe and unsafe exposure to the sun
- How to reduce the risk of sun damage, including skin cancer
This is set out on page 34 of the DfE’s guidance on relationships and health education. Find out more about the requirements for primary and secondary schools regarding relationships, sex and health education.
Examples from primary schools
Voluntary aided school in Kingston upon Thames
Malden Parochial CofE Primary School’s sun safety policy is based on 3 main elements:
- Keeping pupils and staff safe in the sun when on the school premises
- Teaching and learning about sun safety
- Working with the school community to promote awareness of sun safety
Multi-academy trust in Plymouth
Wearing appropriate protective