Bereavement policy: model and examples
Use our model to create a bereavement policy that's carefully tailored to your context and the needs of your community. Plus, get resources to help you develop your approach to bereavement, and see examples of policies.
Download our model policy
This model document is designed for you to adapt to suit your school’s context. It's been approved by Forbes Solicitors.
This is not a statutory policy.
Please note that bereavement is extremely personal and must be tailored to your individual context. This model provides a framework from which you can design a bereavement policy that's unique to your school.
If you're looking for help on what your approach should be, the following charities provide guidance on best practices for schools:
- Child Bereavement UK has a dedicated section on its website for the education sector, broken down into phases:
- Winston's Wish has bereavement support for schools which includes:
- A strategy for schools
- Charter for bereaved children
- Guide to supporting grieving children in education
- Cruse Bereavement Care has bereavement support for schools including:
- How to recognise the impact of bereavement on children
- Behaviour changes that result from grief
- Managing crises