You are here:

Last reviewed on 28 July 2021
Ref: 3747
School types: All · School phases: All

Make sure you understand the rules on when you can search pupils, and what you should do with any items found.

This article is based on DfE guidance.

Staff can search a pupil with their consent

Any member of school staff can search a pupil for any item with their consent.

You don't need written consent – you can simply ask the pupil to turn out their pockets or to let you look in their bag or locker, and if the pupil agrees, you can go ahead.

If you suspect the pupil has a banned item in their possession and they refuse a search, you can apply an appropriate punishment.

What counts as a banned item, and what the punishment might be for refusing to comply with a search request, should be set out in your behaviour policy.

Certain staff can search a pupil without their consent

What you can search for

You can only undertake this type of search if you have 'reasonable grounds' for suspecting a pupil may have a prohibited item in their possession.

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.