Letters to parents
- Absence, attendance and punctuality: template letters to parents Use our template letters to help you address attendance issues such as unauthorised absence and poor punctuality. See examples of letters from primary and secondary schools, and find out how to adapt your letters for pupils with special educational needs (SEN).
- Allergy awareness: involving your community Get everyone on board with your approach to keeping pupils with allergies safe in school. Find letters, a factsheet and resources aimed at building support and cooperation among pupils, parents and staff.
- Behaviour incidents: letters to parents Use our template letters to communicate behaviour incidents with parents. See examples of letters from schools, and find out how to adapt your letters for pupils with SEN.
- Dealing with abusive or aggressive parents: guidance and letters You can ban a parent or a visitor from your school premises for abusive or aggressive behaviour. Find out the process, see examples of letters to send to parents and steps you can take to reduce this behaviour.
- Headteacher leaving letters: examples Telling parents that you're leaving your school is an important message to get right. Use the advice from our expert and examples from schools to help you write your letter to parents.
- Leaving staff members: letter to parents Download our template letter to inform parents about staffing changes in your school and get advice on managing the transition for pupils with SEND.
- New headteachers' letters to parents Use our template to write a letter to parents as a new headteacher, and read advice on what your letter could cover.
- Online safety: involving parents and carers Help parents keep their children safe online by engaging them in discussions about online safety. Download and share factsheets about online safety concerns, see examples of letters to parents, and read our tips on working with parents with EAL.
- Parent factsheet: cost-of-living support As the cost-of-living crisis continues to squeeze families' wallets, share our factsheet with parents and carers to let them know what practical and financial support is available to them.
- Parent governor/trustee elections: documents Check if you're responsible for organising parent governor/trustee elections, and use our template documents to save you time and make sure the process runs smoothly. Download our template letters to parents, ballot paper and candidate form.
- Phonics screening check: information for parents Use our phonics screening check factsheet to explain the process to parents, including when they'll receive results and how they can help their child prepare at home. See examples of how schools display this information online.
- Residential trips: examples of letters to parents Read examples of letters to parents about residential trips from primary and secondary schools and a MAT.
- Security lockdown procedures: informing parents and pupils Follow our guidance when discussing emergency lockdown procedures with your pupils. Download our template letter to parents and see examples of letters from primary and secondary schools.
- Strikes: communicating with parents, staff and stakeholders Find out who you have to inform about industrial action and school closures, and use our template letters to tell parents what your school's arrangements are. Also, get guidance on talking to striking and non-striking staff.
- Thanking staff at the end of term: template letters to parents Use our template letters to reassure parents and pupils that they don't need to buy gifts for staff to show their appreciation. Encourage homemade cards and kind words instead, and request those who still want to give something to donate to charity.
- Uniform policy change: letter to parents Use our template letter to communicate changes to your uniform policy so parents understand how you're securing best value for money and know when the changes will come into force.