You are here:

Last reviewed on 24 March 2021
Ref: 7260
School types: All · School phases: All

You can send pupil reports to parents throughout the year, rather than just annually. Learn about your requirements and what to include in a mid-year or end-of-term report.

You only need to send 1 written report per school year 

The Education (Pupil Information) (England) Regulations 2005 require headteachers to send written pupil reports to parents and carers at least once every school year (see regulation 6).

The DfE explains in its guidance on reporting to parents that you can split the report across the academic year, for example to report on each term separately.

What to include in your report

You're required to report certain information to parents by the end of the summer term each year, under the regulations above. However, it's up to you to decide when to provide this information - it could be in a mid-year or end-of year report. 

You can use our report templates to save you time creating your own (they're framed for an end-of-year report, so you'll just need to tweak the wording

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.