Transition to secondary school: pupils with SEN

Whether you're a feeder or receiver school, understand your responsibilities when planning for pupils with special educational needs (SEN) moving from primary to secondary school. Plus, find out what you can do to help the transition go smoothly.

Last reviewed on 10 January 2024
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 10751
  1. As the feeder/primary school, what should I do?
  2. As the receiver/secondary school, what should I do?

As the feeder/primary school, what should I do?

To support pupils with special educational needs (SEN) transitioning between phases of education, you should:

  • Share information with the school, college or other setting the pupil is moving to
  • Agree with parents/carers and pupils what information will be shared as part of this planning process

This is set out in paragraph 6.57 of the SEND Code of Practice (page 102). 

Arrange for an EHC plan review

Where a pupil has an education, health and care (EHC) plan, the plan must be reviewed and amended with enough time to go before the pupil moves phases. This is to allow for their new school to plan and commission support and provision, where necessary.

This review and any amendments to the plan must be completed no later than 15 February in the calendar year of the transfer to secondary school.

Read more

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.