Last reviewed on 15 June 2022
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 44864

Find out what checks are required for governors, members and trustees, so you can make sure your school is compliant with the latest statutory safeguarding guidance.

Download a summary of the requirements

Download our summary of the requirements for pre-employment checks for school governors. 

KeyDoc: summary of checks for governors - maintained

Your governing board is responsible for applying for these checks, but in practice, your school admin staff will probably do it on their behalf. 

Get more detail on the required checks for different types of governors and trustees below. 

School governors

What checks are required? Governors must have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.  If they already have a DBS certificate, it's up to your employer (get information on this here) to decide whether to accept it or ask for a new one. An individual is disqualified from holding office as a governor if they refuse a request for a DBS check. This may include a barred list check if the governor is involved in regulated

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


Get safeguarding peace of mind this summer term

Walk into the summer term with everything you need to maintain safeguarding vigilance in your school.

Download our summer term briefing pack, available for free to DSLs for a limited time only.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.