Use this list to choose the right tool to assess pupils’ social, emotional and mental health (SEMH) needs. They can be used as part of a school-wide audit on mental health or as a targeted assessment of a pupil who has been referred for special educational needs (SEN) evaluation.
Your choice of tool will depend on your school’s context and assessment needs. When evaluating which tool to select, make sure to consider:
- What is/are the pupil/pupils’ age and level of need?
- Who will administer the assessment?
- What do we want to find out?
- How will the results be used?
- Will the tool be used to evaluate the success of an intervention?
- What length of intervention will you be tracking?
- Will the tool be used just once or regularly, to track progress?