You are here:

Last reviewed on 11 June 2021
Ref: 11285
School types: All · School phases: All

If parents are opposed to SEN provision for their child, take a look at this article for guidance on how to address their concerns.

You must keep parents informed

Where it is decided that a pupil does have special educational needs (SEN), the pupil's parents must be formally informed that special educational provision is being made.

That's set out in paragraph 6.43 of the statutory SEND Code of Practice.

Hold meetings with concerned parents

If parents don't want to accept that their child has SEN, organise a meeting to discuss how you can best support the child's learning.

We got the advice below from our associate education expert Lorraine Petersen and an adviser from the Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA). 

The pupil’s attainment is below the national average, or below that of their peers (initial assessments could be used as evidence to support this) If provision isn’t put in place the pupil may not 'catch up' with their peers, and may not be ready for the next year or school phase Categorising a

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.