Ofsted 'deep dives': English
Understand how Ofsted inspectors do English and reading 'deep dives' and see what they might ask by downloading our list of questions based on previous inspections.
Ofsted inspectors use subject 'deep dives' to inspect your curriculum. They use them to consider the 'intent, implementation and impact' of your curriculum as part of the 'quality of education' assessment.
See paragraphs 215 to 217 of the School Inspection Handbook for more details.
Ofsted has emphasised that it does not make judgements on specific subjects, lessons or teachers. Its inspectors use deep dives to help them arrive at an overall 'quality of education' judgement.
Will we get a 'deep dive' in English?
Ofsted might do an English deep dive.
In secondary schools, Ofsted will usually focus on a sample of 4 to 6 subjects. English could be 1 of these subjects.
See paragraph 216 of the School Inspection Handbook for more details.
How deep dives work
Your senior leadership team (SLT), curriculum leads, subject leads, teachers and pupils.
If your subject lead isn't available, inspectors may put their questions to your headteacher or other senior leader instead.
- Attendance: what Ofsted is looking for
- 'Cultural capital': expanding narrow definitions
- 'Cultural capital': what Ofsted is looking for
- Health and safety: how to show Ofsted you're fulfilling your duties
- How Ofsted inspects 'behaviour and attitudes'
- How Ofsted inspects early years education
- How Ofsted inspects governance
- How Ofsted inspects 'leadership and management'
- How Ofsted inspects 'personal development'
- How Ofsted inspects safeguarding
- How Ofsted inspects sixth forms
- How Ofsted inspects your curriculum
- How Ofsted inspects your provision for 'disadvantaged' pupils
- How Ofsted will assess RSE
- Ofsted changes for the 2022/23 academic year: summary
- Ofsted 'deep dives': art and design
- Ofsted 'deep dives': computing
- Ofsted 'deep dives': geography
- Ofsted 'deep dives': history
- Ofsted 'deep dives': maths
- Ofsted 'deep dives': modern foreign languages (MFL)
- Ofsted 'deep dives': PSHE New
- Ofsted 'deep dives': science
- Ofsted 'summary evaluations' of trusts: explainer
- School policies: what Ofsted is looking for