Thanks to Julie Carson, Bex Howe and Andrew Mackereth for their help and expertise in writing this article.
Why audit your staff skills?
By auditing your staff you can:
- Create a database of staff skills or expertise
- Spot skills gaps or areas for improvement to feed into professional development
By knowing these 2 things you can match areas for improvement with in-house experts from across your trust. This will save you money instead of sending staff on external training and will encourage school-to-school collaboration.
Fostering collaboration in this way has additional benefits around talent management. For example, you can:
- Empower your staff by giving them opportunities to coach and train others
- Develop future leaders in your trust by helping them to become better coaches
- Support retention by giving staff new challenges and a broader remit - for example, additional non-teaching time to support less experienced teachers from across the trust
Ultimately, it's up