Maternity leave and pay
Download our summary of the rules about maternity pay and leave for teachers and support staff. Adapt our 2 template letters, one for employees giving notice of maternity leave to their employer and the other for employers confirming maternity pay and leave details to an employee.
Download our summary of entitlements, eligibility and notice periods
The rules around maternity pay and leave are complicated. To help you, we've created a downloadable document summarising:
- Statutory maternity leave
- Statutory maternity pay
- Maternity allowance
- Occupational maternity pay based on the scheme outlined in the Burgundy Book (the Conditions of Service for School Teachers in England and Wales). This applies to:
- Teachers in most maintained schools (excluding a small number of voluntary aided and foundation schools)
- Teachers in academies (where their employment transferred to an academy at the point of conversion, or where your academy chooses to follow these terms)
- Teachers in other schools who choose to follow these terms - check your contracts and policies to find out
For each scheme, we explain:
- Who's eligible
- How much money they get and when
- The notice periods for employees and employers
Teachers need to let their
More from The Key
Bitesize training with a big impact
Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.
Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.