You are here:
Workload: get to the heart of what's overloading your staff with 'keep, tweak or ditch'
Keen to address workload but don't know where to start? See the wood from the trees with Kensington Primary School's democratic, no-nonsense way to spot and solve the biggest burdens for everyone on your staff team.
What's different about this?
- It's a quick way to separate tasks that are "unnecessary" from those that have an actual impact on pupil outcomes
- Staff drive it: all staff are involved and have their views heard on the real, sometimes hidden, impact of tasks on their own workload
- It brings about real change: if enough staff vote to 'ditch' or 'tweak' something, that's what the school does
It’ll work for you if you're ...
- Open to making big changes to reduce staff workload
- Willing to put everything your school does on the table – nothing is sacred
- Willing to have honest and sometimes challenging conversations with your staff
Secondary schools could adapt the steps below to run this exercise within departments, or at a whole-school and department level, depending on your structure and context. Kensington Primary
More from The Key
Bitesize training with a big impact
Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.
Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.