Staff appraisal and capability: requirements and guidance
Get an overview of your requirements for appraising teachers and support staff, and see a case study of a staff-led approach to teacher appraisal.
Viewing article for:
You must appraise teachers annually
This is set out in The Education (School Teachers’ Appraisal) (England) Regulations 2012.
The regulations state that:
- Schools must have an annual appraisal process in place for teachers
- Governing boards and local authorities (LAs) must have a written appraisal policy for teachers (see our model policy)
- Teachers’ performance objectives must be linked to improving the education of pupils
- Teachers must receive a written appraisal report that:
- Assesses their performance, training and development needs
- Makes, where relevant, a recommendation on pay progression
Mid-year appraisals are optional
However, you should check your school’s appraisal policy to see if this applies to you. The Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) encourages schools to have mid-year appraisals alongside end-of-year ones.
It's good practice to carry out performance management for support staff
However, this isn't a statutory requirement.
You must have
More from The Key
Bitesize training with a big impact
Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.
Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.
Get safeguarding peace of mind this summer term
Walk into the summer term with everything you need to maintain safeguarding vigilance in your school.
Download our summer term briefing pack, available for free to DSLs for a limited time only.
- Need-to-know: Academy Trust Handbook 2022 published 24 Aug 2022 19:02
- Need-to-know: Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE) updated for 2022 20 May 2022 14:02
- Need-to-know: DfE launches consultation on changes to behaviour and exclusion guidance 4 Feb 2022 09:29
- Need-to-know: DfE publishes new statutory guidance on the cost of school uniform 19 Nov 2021 08:51
- Need-to-know: STPCD 2021 published 4 Oct 2021 10:30
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.