Headteachers' standards: summary
Read our summary of the Headteachers' Standards 2020 and find out how you can use them.
Viewing article for:
Overview of the standards and how to use them
Like the 2015 version, the 2020 Headteachers' Standards are non-statutory.
The standards are divided into 2 sections (see below) and cover the full breadth of leadership responsibility within a school.
For most headteachers, all of the standards are expected to be relevant to you. You might meet these through:
- Your personal attributes and conduct
- Successful leadership and management of teams and individuals
Interpret the standards for your own individual context, and the context of your school (see more about different contexts below).
The Headteachers' Standards build on the Teachers' Standards
You're also expected to continue to meet the Teachers' Standards. The Headteachers' Standards lays out how headteachers can meet both:
- The requirements of the Teachers’ Standards, and
- The additional responsibilities of headship
You can use the Headteachers' Standards to:
- Self-reflect on whether you're meeting these standards as a headteacher: use our self-assessment tool to get started
- Identify areas for development
More from The Key
Bitesize training with a big impact
Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.
Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.
Get safeguarding peace of mind this summer term
Walk into the summer term with everything you need to maintain safeguarding vigilance in your school.
Download our summer term briefing pack, available for free to DSLs for a limited time only.
- Need-to-know: Academy Trust Handbook 2022 published 24 Aug 2022 19:02
- Need-to-know: Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE) updated for 2022 20 May 2022 14:02
- Need-to-know: DfE launches consultation on changes to behaviour and exclusion guidance 4 Feb 2022 09:29
- Need-to-know: DfE publishes new statutory guidance on the cost of school uniform 19 Nov 2021 08:51
- Need-to-know: STPCD 2021 published 4 Oct 2021 10:30
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.