Teachers' Standards: overview and career progression
Read our summary of the Teachers' Standards, and see our skills audit and example school policies linking the standards to career stage expectations and progression.
This article is based on the current Teachers' Standards. These are for schools in England - teachers in Wales use a different set of standards (see the final section in 'Who the standards apply to' below for more detail).
Who the standards apply to
The Teachers' Standards must apply to:
- Most teachers in maintained schools, including headteachers (this is set out in legislation)
- Teachers completing their newly qualified teacher (NQT) or early career teacher (ECT) induction
- Trainees working towards qualified teacher status (QTS)
They don't have to apply to:
- Teachers in academies (unless your funding agreement says otherwise)
- Teachers with qualified teacher learning and skills (QTLS) status
However, the standards may be used for these teachers if you wish.
Teachers in Wales use different standards The Welsh government has different standards - the professional standards for teaching and leadership -