You are here:
Performance management of teaching assistants: FAQs
How does appraisal for teaching assistants work? This article answers frequently asked questions about the performance management of teaching assistants (TAs), including whether TAs should be appraised, observing TAs, and line managers for TAs.
- Are there requirements for TA appraisal?
- Should TAs on short-term contracts be formally appraised?
- How should we appraise an HLTA who is also an unqualified teacher?
- Can a more senior TA do the appraisal for TAs on lower pay grades?
- Should classroom-based support staff be observed?
- Can we grade TA performance against the Ofsted criteria?
- Feedback from Ofsted: can it be used in performance management?
More from The Key
Covering topics including differentiation, assessment, SEND and growth mindset, CPD Toolkit has been created by subject experts and tested by teachers to guarantee practical, engaging training that's also excellent value for money.
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.