You are here:
Performance management of teaching assistants: FAQs
How does appraisal for teaching assistants work? This article answers frequently asked questions about the performance management of teaching assistants (TAs), including whether TAs should be appraised, observing TAs, and line managers for TAs.
- Are there requirements for TA appraisal?
- Should TAs on short-term contracts be formally appraised?
- How should we appraise an HLTA who is also an unqualified teacher?
- Can a more senior TA do the appraisal for TAs on lower pay grades?
- Should classroom-based support staff be observed?
- Can we grade TA performance against the Ofsted criteria?
- Feedback from Ofsted: can it be used in performance management?
More from The Key
Induct new starters and remind existing staff of their statutory safeguarding duties, whether they’re in-school as skeleton staff or working from home.
Safeguarding Training Centre's eLearning courses are fully up-to-date and compliant with all relevant statutory documents and are accessible from a desktop, laptop or mobile device.
Evidence-led training courses that make it easy to upskill staff, anytime, anywhere.
CPD Toolkit is the most effective way to virtually deliver evidence-led training and support the professional development of your staff. Downloadable courses and online 5-minute summaries provide flexibility for training, whether staff are participating as skeleton staff in-school, via video call or individually at their own pace.
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.