You are here:

Last reviewed on 25 May 2021
Ref: 33348
School types: All · School phases: All

Whether or not you must declare when a teacher has been dismissed due to capability depends on the type of school. Read guidance, including advice from the DfE, ASCL and our associate education experts, and learn how the rules are different for support staff.

Notifying the LA of a dismissal

Maintained schools

Community and voluntary controlled: Your school’s governing board must notify the local authority (LA) when it determines that any person employed by the LA to work at the school should cease to work there (see The School Staffing (England) Regulations 2009, regulations 8, 11, 20, 23 and 32). 

The notification must include the reasons for determining this. 

This is also set out in the model teacher appraisal and capability policy for schools (page 14) from the Department for Education (DfE). 

Voluntary aided and foundation: The same regulations do not apply unless the member of staff is employed by the LA.


A representative from

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.