You are here:

Sponsoring a visa for an overseas teacher

Ref: 31315
Last updated on 1 June 2016
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
What is the process for sponsoring a visa for an overseas teacher? An employer needs a licence before sponsoring overseas workers to work in the UK. We outline the process for applying for a licence, as well as the responsibilities of employers and the process for sponsoring a worker.

Article tools

Want to read more?

To read this article in full, sign up for a free trial of The Key.

The Key gives school leaders access to:


  1. 1 Employers require a licence to sponsor overseas workers
  2. 2 Applying for a licence to sponsor overseas workers
  3. 3 Responsibilities of employers who sponsor workers
  4. 4 Sponsoring workers once you have a licence
  5. 5 NASUWT: costs and benefits of recruiting overseas teachers

Article features

  • 12 external links

More from The Key

CPD Toolkit video image 800x450

CPD Toolkit from The Key

Everything you need to deliver high-impact in-school training.

Ready-made presentations, facilitator notes, videos, handouts and more ...

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.