The guidance in this article applies to NQTs that started induction before September 2021. For individuals in the 2021/22 cohort, take a look at this article.
You must have a monitoring and support programme for NQTs
The programme must be personalised to meet their professional development needs. The responsibilities for delivering it are split between the headteacher and the NQT's induction tutor.
The headteacher must:
- Appoint an induction tutor for the NQT and make sure the tutor:
- Holds qualified teacher status (QTS)
- Has the skills and knowledge to do the role
- Has enough time to carry out the role effectively
- Make sure the NQT’s progress is reviewed regularly, including through observations and feedback of their teaching
- Make the governing board aware of the support arrangements in place for the NQT
See a full list of the headteacher's responsibilities in DfE's statutory guidance on NQT induction (pages 29 to 30).
Guide and support the NQT, including coaching and mentoring Carry out