New qualification mandatory for SENCOs from September 2024
A national professional qualification (NPQ) for SENCOs will:
- Be a requirement for all SENCOs from September 2024
- Replace the current Master’s level national award for SENCOs (NASENCo)
SENCOs must complete the NPQ within 3 years of appointment to the role, as was the case for the NASENCo.
- Takes between 18 and 22 months to complete
- Requires about 1 to 2 hours of study each week
- Includes self-study, group sessions and a written assessment
See full details of the qualification in the DfE's guidance on the NPQ for SENCOs, including a list of providers.
This requirement is part of the SEND and alternative provision (AP) improvement plan - read our summary for more information.
For more details about your duties around SENCOs, take a look at our article on SENCOs requirements and qualifications.
SENCOs who have completed a NASENCo won’t