SENCO: requirements and qualifications

Be clear which types of schools are required to appoint a special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO), and what qualifications they'll need for the post.

Last reviewed on 5 September 2023
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 1779
  1. Mainstream schools must have a SENCO
  2. Who can be a SENCO?
  3. What professional qualifications do SENCOs need?
  4. Can a SENCO work across schools?
  5. Can we appoint a part-time SENCO?

Mainstream schools must have a SENCO

You must have a designated special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) if you're: 

  • A maintained school 
  • An academy 
  • A free school
  • An alternative provision (AP) academy  
  • A pupil referral unit (PRU)
  • A maintained nursery (other early years providers are also expected to have one)

Your governing board or proprietors of your school (for academies and free schools) must make sure you have a designated SENCO in place. 

These requirements are outlined on pages 89, 92 and 108 of the SEND Code of Practice.

Other school types are also encouraged to have a SENCO

You're not required to have a SENCO if you're: 

  • An independent school 
  • An independent nursery
  • A special school
  • A 16 to 19 academy 

However, it's still recommended you have a teacher responsible for co-ordinating SEN provision. 

Our associate education expert, Lorraine Petersen, gave us this advice.

If your school is required

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.