You are here:

  • Can unqualified teachers/TAs teach PE lessons? Can an unqualified teacher teach PE? This article cites guidance on unqualified teachers and support staff teaching PE lessons. It looks at using TAs and HLTAs to cover PE lessons and lead after-school clubs, and at whether schools must employ specialist PE teachers.
  • Employing unqualified teachers What are the rules on employing unqualified teachers? This article answers questions from school leaders on employing unqualified teachers in maintained schools and academies, including the rules on using instructors and teaching assistants (TAs), with advice from one of our associate experts.
  • National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordination: overview How can teachers achieve the National Award for SEN Co-ordination (for SENCOs)? We link to information from the DfE, National College and training providers on entry requirements, application forms, course content and assessments. We include advice on supporting staff who are studying for the award.
  • SENCO role: requirements and qualifications What are the qualification requirements for SENCOs? We explain which types of school are required to have a special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO), and what qualifications are needed for the role. You will also find information on qualification requirements for related roles.