You are here:

Last reviewed on 12 October 2021
Ref: 31028
School types: All · School phases: All

Find out the rules on employing unqualified teachers, including who's eligible and what work they can do.

Your requirements

Maintained schools and academies must hire qualified teachers for the roles of:

  • Special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) - see our article on the qualification requirements for SENCOs 
  • Designated teacher for looked after children (LAC) - see page 6 of the DfE guidance on LAC

Academies: Apart from the requirements above, your academy trust is free to set out its own rules for employing unqualified teachers - check your funding agreement to find out the arrangements in your school. Please note, if you're a special academy, your funding agreement might require you to follow the same rules as maintained schools.

Maintained schools: In addition to the above, we set out your requirements below. 

Unqualified teachers can carry out 'specified work'

Activities that count as 'specified work' include:

This is outlined in section 5 of

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.