Get consent to convert to an academy: guidance and template

You need to get consent before you can apply to convert to an academy. Be clear on who you need to get consent from, and use our template letter to save you time.

Last reviewed on 21 November 2022
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 45670
  1. Get consent before you apply
  2. Use our template letter to get consent
  3. Decide whether to start the formal consultation period before you apply

Get consent before you apply

You need to get consent to apply to become an academy as part of step 1 of the conversion process. Get an overview of the full process in this article.

It’s likely you and your governing board will already have had informal discussions with multi-academy trusts (MATs) up to this point, so getting formal consent to apply shouldn’t come as a surprise to those involved.

Who do I need consent from?

From your governing board: your board must meet to pass a resolution to convert, before you apply. Keep a record of this resolution safe – the DfE might ask to see it later in the process. Get formal consent from your governing board first, before seeking consent from those below.

If you're joining an existing MAT, the trust has to confirm that it's happy for you