You are here:

  • Admissions for looked after children Must looked after children have priority in admissions? We outline the rules and exceptions to prioritising looked after children (LAC) and previously LAC in school admissions. We also point to definitions of the terms 'LAC' and 'previously LAC', explaining which children qualify for priority.
  • Admissions: pupils with SEN Must pupils with SEN have priority in admissions? We outline the rules on the admission of pupils with special educational needs (SEN), including those with statements and education, health and care (EHC) plans. We also explain which types of school can be named on an EHC plan.
Show all articles
  • Admission appeals Parents can appeal admission decisions. Be clear on how to handle appeals during temporary coronavirus regulations, and get details on how the full appeals process works. Download our template appeal outcome letter, and see how other schools approach appeals.
  • Admission application forms Your school may need to use a supplementary information form to apply its admission criteria. Read the dos and don'ts for these forms, and see examples from schools.
  • Admission to reception: deferring entry Learn about parents' rights to delay when their child starts school and what's involved in the process for summer-born children.
  • Challenging the placement of a pupil with SEND: guidance and checklist UpdatedThere are times when you can't meet the needs of a pupil with an EHC plan. Be clear on your requirements and use our checklist to help you make the best possible case to your LA if you want to challenge a pupil's placement at your school.
  • How to set your school admission arrangements Admissions arrangements for September 2022 must be set by 28 February 2021. Learn how admissions authorities set admissions criteria. We also explain how the consultation process works, and the deadline for consulting on changes to admissions arrangements.
  • Placing pupils in older or younger year groups Know what you need to consider when deciding whether to place pupils ahead or behind their year group ('front yearing' or 'back yearing'). Pupils have missed a lot of school due to coronavirus and you may be getting requests from parents to hold their children back a year - find out why you should only agree to this in exceptional cases.
  • School Admissions Code: proposed changes The DfE is consulting on changes to the rules on in-year admissions and other tweaks to the code. Find out what the main proposed updates are.
  • School admissions: outcome letters for parents Use our template letter to communicate sensitively with parents when explaining the outcome of admissions applications. Get further inspiration with examples of letters and guidance from local authorities.
  • Sixth-form admissions: rules and guidance Understand the rules around sixth-form admissions, including who sets your academic entry requirements and which pupils you must prioritise if you're oversubscribed.
Show all articles
  • Admissions above the PAN Can schools admit pupils above the published admission number (PAN)? This article defines the PAN and looks at whether admission authorities can admit above this number. It also addresses how and when maintained schools and academies might be directed to admit above the PAN.
  • Increasing the published admission number (PAN) Find out what you need to do to increase your PAN and how to prepare for it. See also an example of a school that's consulted on increasing its PAN.
  • Reducing the published admission number (PAN) Admission authorities must consult when they propose to decrease a school's PAN. See information on timescales and who must be consulted. If you're a special school, find out how to change your agreed pupil number.
Show all articles
  • Dual registration of pupils Learn what having a dual registered pupil at your school will mean for you. Find out where to go for questions about funding and exam entries, how to register dual registered pupils on your census, and which school the pupil's exam results will count towards.
  • Removing a pupil from the school roll If you have to delete a pupil from your school's admission register, you want to be clear on the legalities. Understand the conditions under which you can remove a pupil and use our template to pass on the required information to your LA before you do.
  • Removing pupils from the school roll: long-term absence Can pupils be taken off roll if they are absent for a significant period? We explain when pupils can be deleted from the roll due to long-term absence. This article also includes information on whether pupils that refuse to attend school and Traveller pupils may be removed from the school roll.
Show all articles