All parents and carers have the right to appeal
The admission authority must inform a parent or carer of the decision to refuse their child a place at a school they've applied for.
It must tell parents and carers:
- Why admission was refused
- About their right to appeal
- The deadline for lodging an appeal
- Contact details for making an appeal
- How to make an appeal, including setting out their grounds for appeal in writing
Admission authorities cannot limit the grounds on which appeals can be made.
This is set out in paragraph 2.5 of the school admission appeals code and on page 29 of the admissions code.
While the admissions appeals code applies directly to maintained schools in England, academies are also required to comply with the code through their funding agreements.
Timetable for appeals
Includes a deadline for lodging appeals The deadline must allow appellants at least