Admissions processes and appeals
- Admission appeals Parents and carers can appeal admission decisions. Be clear on how to handle appeals, get details on how the full appeals process works, and download our template appeal outcome letter.
- Admission to reception: deferring entry Learn about parents' rights to delay when their child starts school and what's involved in the process for summer-born children.
- Challenging the placement of a pupil with SEND: guidance and checklist There are times when you can't meet the needs of a pupil with an EHC plan. Be clear on your requirements and use our checklist to help you make the best possible case to your LA if you want to challenge a pupil's placement at your school.
- How to set your admission arrangements Learn how admissions authorities set admissions criteria, how the consultation process works and the deadline for consulting on changes.
- In-year admissions and fair access protocols The School Admissions Code 2021 made changes to the rules on in-year admissions and fair access protocols (FAPs). Get to grips with these new rules.
- Placing pupils in older or younger year groups Know what you need to consider when deciding whether to place pupils ahead or behind their year group ('front yearing' or 'back yearing').
- Rules about admission application forms Your school may need to use a supplementary information form to apply its admission criteria. Read the dos and don'ts for these forms, and see examples from schools.
- School admissions: communication with parents Find out how admission communications are managed and see examples of template letters for in-year admissions.