You are here:

Placing pupils in older or younger year groups

Ref: 2095
Last updated on 29 March 2018
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
It is possible to place a pupil outside of their year group. However, there are a number of considerations to take. Read our article to find out what these are and what the responsibilities of the admission authority and the headteacher are.

Article tools


  1. 1 The admission authority decides the initial year group
  2. 2 The headteacher manages pupils moving year groups
  3. 3 Pupils with SEN
  4. 4 Admitting pupils in schools of a different age range
  5. 5 Performance tables
  6. 6 Funding
  7. 7 LA guidance

Article features

  • 8 external links

More from The Key

CPD Toolkit Fresh

CPD Toolkit makes it easy to run training in-house

Covering a wide range of topics, including differentiation, assessment, SEND and growth mindset, CPD Toolkit has been created by subject experts and tested by teachers to guarantee practical, engaging training that's also excellent value for money.

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.