You are here:

Last reviewed on 24 February 2021
Ref: 11899
School types: All · School phases: All

Know when a pupil has EAL, and how to record languages spoken by a pupil on your school census and in your own internal records.

What is the definition?

A pupil's first language is not English when the pupil:

  • Has been exposed to a language other than English during early development, and
  • Continues to be exposed to this language in the home or in the community

This is set out in official school census guidance.

How to record EAL on the census

The census requires you to record the language spoken by each pupil, as stated by the parent or guardian, or the child. You can use the DfE's list of language codes or the codes used in your software.

The pupil's first language is not known with absolute certainty Parents have not responded to enquiries You're able to judge whether the pupil's language is English or not, with a

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.